The faculty of Economics within the Yerevan State University was founded in 1930. In 1975 it was formed as an independent unit named Yerevan Institute of National Economy, and later as Yerevan State University of Economics.
In 1995 the university launched the new academic year in a new building at Nalbandyan 128. Only one of the departments is in Zeitun District.
In 2006 the university was renamed Armenian State University of Economics, a state non-commercial organization.
About 30.000 alumni have graduated from the university. Six departments of the university have a total of 31 chairs (21 professional and 10 non-professional).
There are one Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Armenia, 35 Doctors of Sciences, Professors, 141 Doctors, Associate Professors, 87 Assistant Professors, 103 lecturers and mare that 60 specialists part-time teachers. The university has 7000 students with 18 specialties and many specializations.
The university implements bachelor’s full-time degrees since 2005, and part-time since 2004, full-time master’s degrees since 2009, as well as part-time. Full and part-time degree courses are implemented by a credit system.